Best Baking Tips is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
A kitchen is a place full of possibilities, and with the right ingredients, you can create something special. Filipino Steamed Rice Cake Muffins with Cheese, or Puto Cheese are the perfect example; simple yet delicious, they’ll be sure to please even the most discerning palates. Whether for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, these cheesy rice cakes offer an easy way to enjoy some scrumptious flavor in one bite! With just a few minutes of preparation time and minimal cleanup required afterward, it’s easier than ever to get creative in your own kitchen. Read on for a step-by-step guide for making these delectable steamed rice cake muffins with cheese.
Steamed Rice Cake Muffins with Cheese: Incredibly Moist and Cheesy!
Puto cheese is a delicious dish that originated in the Philippines. It is a type of steamed rice cake muffin made from a combination of rice flour, all-purpose flour, evaporated milk, coconut milk, and sugar. This sweet and savory dessert is then filled and topped with cheese and steamed to perfection. The combination of flavors creates a unique and deliciously sweet-savory treat for everyone to enjoy.
While it may sound intimidating to make, the process of making puto cheese is relatively easy. All that’s required are just the right proportions of rice flour, all-purpose flour, evaporated milk, coconut milk, and sugar, plus your choice of favorite cheese! After mixing all the ingredients together, steam the batter for around 12-15 minutes and you’ll have yourself a tasty snack that will please even the fussiest eaters!
Best Baking Tips; Other Variations
Filipino steamed rice cake muffins with cheese, otherwise known as Puto Cheese, are an ever-popular snack amongst Filipinos. However, these treats offer even more than meets the eye! While traditional Puto Cheese made with regular white rice is still a favorite among locals and tourists alike, two other variations of this classic dish can be found in regional bakeries and more modern eateries.
Ube Puto Cheese
Ube Puto Cheese is a tasty treat that has its cultural roots in the Philippines. It’s made from an unforgettable combination of ube, a root vegetable native to South East Asia popular for its vibrant purple hue and sweet taste, and cheese paired with rice flour. The result is a delicious snack loved by people who enjoy a mix of savory and sweet flavors.
Pandan Puto Cheese
Pandan Puto Cheese is an exotic, delicious treat that has become increasingly popular in recent years. With its subtle sweetness, and mild salty and tangy notes, it offers an exciting new way to experience both flavors. As a bonus, the vibrant green color that the pandan leaves lend gives these treats an eye-catching visual appeal as well.
Whether enjoyed from home or from a local café, Filipino Steamed Rice Cake Muffins with Cheese provide an unforgettable journey for the senses!
Steamed Rice Cake Muffins with Cheese
If you want to try this Filipino Steamed Rice Cake Muffins with Cheese Recipe, share your photo and experience with us. In addition, let us know what you think in the comments below by using #bestbakingtip, #steamedricecakemuffins, and #putocheese
Steamed Rice Cake Muffins with Cheese
Let's gather the ingredients!
- ½ cup rice flour sifted
- ½ cup all-purpose sifted
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese grated
- 12 strips cheddar cheese for topping
- 2 tsp Ube flavoring extract OPTIONAL
- melted butter for brushing the molds
- In a large mixing bowl, combine both the flours, sugar, and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together the evaporated milk, coconut milk, egg, butter, and vanilla extract until all combined.
- Gradually pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients while mixing with a whisk. If you prefer, add in the ube flavoring extract.
- Add the grated cheese and fold slowly using a spatula or spoon.
Let's start steaming!
- Grease each puto molds or small muffin molds with butter, then fill the molds with batter up to ¾ full.
- Fill the bottom of the steamer with water and bring to a gentle simmer over very low heat. Place the molds in the steamer basket and steam for about 10 to 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the lid and add a strip of cheese on top of each put. Steam for another minute or two until cheese melts. Turn off heat and let it rest until slightly cooled down.
- Remove the cooked Puto Cheese from the molds and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
Below are the must-read articles about baking. You will enjoy them reading as they are full of information and helpful tips. Read them and share your thoughts.
To Wrap It All Up
Overall, this Puto Cheese is a delicious treat that incorporates multiple traditional Filipino flavors into one. It’s fluffy and moist with a cheesy kick that isn’t too overwhelming. I would definitely recommend trying out this recipe, especially if you’re looking to explore more of Filipino culture through food!
Connect With Us
If you’ve tried this Filipino Steamed Rice Cake Muffins with Cheese Recipe, please don’t forget to leave a rating on the recipe card. In addition, Take a ? and tag us on our social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. For more baking recipes make sure you subscribed to our weekly newsletter. ?