Best Baking Tips is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Apples, Oats, Cinnamon….Yum!
Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Bread, with apples, oats, and cinnamon make this moist bread a healthy choice for breakfast at home or on the go. But it also serves as a delicious snack food. In fact, it dresses up well for dessert, too.
Oats contain incredible nutritional benefits, more than many other grains. Health experts recommend them as nutritional powerhouses. Oats provide fiber which helps to lower cholesterol and proteins, which comprise the main building blocks for the entire body. They also are quite high in many vitamins and minerals.
Apples also provide a hearty amount of fiber, vitamins, and minerals. One important antioxidant in apples, quercetin, acts as an antihistamine. Research also shows some potential for it to protect against heart disease.
We’ve shredded the apples in our bread recipe to help increase the moisture content for a moist and tender finished product. Leaving the skins on provides added nutrition, too.
Walnuts host protein and fiber, plus the very essential Omega-3 fat from AHA (plant source). Though only a small portion of the bread, walnuts add to the nutritional value..
Cinnamon, particularly Ceylon cinnamon, shows promise in research studies to help control blood sugar rise in people with diabetes. Additional benefits from cinnamon include anti-inflammation and even some protection against heart disease.
Eggs provide an incredible nutrition profile that research shows to be nearly complete. Consider the protein and vitamin D value they add, too.
Honey might become your favorite sweetener. While it does affect your blood sugar levels, it also provides some nutritional benefits that granulated table sugar does not have.
Prefer Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Bread Muffins?
This recipe makes a dozen muffins instead of a loaf of bread if you choose. Use the same ingredients but instead of a loaf pan, line 12 muffin cups with paper liners and spray with cooking spray.
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Bake for 5 minutes, then turn your oven down to 400°F. Continue baking for about 12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
By baking your muffins this way, you will cause them to rise to a fluffy height. The texture and flavor is quite noticeable.
Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Bread Recipe
Apple Oatmeal Breakfast Bread
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- ¼ cup oats dry, uncooked
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp butter melted
- 1 cup oats dry
- 1 cup flour all purpose or whole-wheat pastry
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon ground
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup oil vegetable or coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup brown sugar packed
- 2½ cups apples unpeeled, shredded
- ⅓ cup walnuts chopped (optional, but they add nutritional value and texture)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix well but avoiding mashing. You want a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- Using a blender or food processor, process the oats into a flour consistency.
- Combine oat flour, wheat flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, honey, oil, and vanilla.
- Add sugar to the egg mixture. Beat with a spoon or electric mixer until well blended.
- Stir in apples, mixing to combine well.
- Add flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Stir in walnuts being careful not to mash.
- Pour batter into loaf pan. Sprinkle with crumble topping.
- Bake for 1 hour, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and continue cooling on a wire rack.
Make this veganThis recipe easily converts to its plant-based cousin. Simply make the following exchanges.:
- Use a vegan butter alternative product or simply substitute coconut oil.
- Choose your favorite egg substitute. We offer suggestions on our ingredients page.
- Other sweetener options are discussed on our sweetener page.
Make it healthier!
- Choose the healthier plant-based options shown above.
- Use whole-wheat flour instead of the all-purpose option.
Have you tried our Apple Dessert Pizza recipe?