Best Baking Tips is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Chocolate Raspberry Cake
In our moist Chocolate Raspberry Ganache Cake, the richness of the dark chocolate cake and dark chocolate ganache is complemented by the layers of light, silky smooth chocolate mascarpone and the fresh raspberry jam and fresh adorning raspberries for deeply-chocolate, silky, raspberry-filled bite after bite after bite.
This Cake is super simple, so simple, you don’t even need a mixer because we don’t have to cream and butter! It’s based on Hershey’s classic recipe but we use dark cocoa powder and buttermilk for maximum flavor and melt-in-your-mouth texture.
You made it! Lots of steps but totally worth it, I promise!
Chocolate Raspberry Cake
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Raspberry Filling:
- 2 cups of raspberries fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh raspberries for topping on the cake optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 8 or 9 inches round baking pans. Line them with parchment or wax paper, if desired.
- Stir dry ingredients together: sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, vanilla, oil, buttermilk and beat for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water, which will make the batter very thin. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled completely you can wrap them with plastic wrap and store them at room temperature or freezer bag.
Raspberry Cake Filling:
- Add sugar, water, lemon juice, and cornstarch to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir well to combine.
- Next, add raspberries and cook, stirring often, until raspberries have softened into the sauce and the sauce has thickened.
- Allow cooling completely before filling the cake. (See notes for seedless raspberry filling.)
- Combine butter and cocoa powder. Add powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract and beat until smooth and creamy!
- Add additional powdered sugar, to thicken, or milk, to the frosting if needed.
Assemble Your Cake:
- Place one cake round on a plate or cake stand then add the desired amount of raspberry filling and spread into a smooth layer.
- Top with the second cake round, frost the outside of the cake with chocolate frosting.
- Add fresh raspberries on top, if desired.
If you try this recipe for Chocolate Raspberry Cake Recipe, let me know what you think!