Affiliate Statement and a Caveat
First off, a little caveat: within my articles you will find affiliate links, meaning if you buy them, I get a small commission. Your cost is not affected. In addition, I am an Amazon Associate and I earn from qualifying purchases on Amazon.
And yes, if I say that I recommend a product here, it means I truly believe it is a good product. I refuse to recommend any product that I have not researched and believe to be a good value.
Even better, I provide you with a very clear picture of the product, it’s use, and the probable value.
Earning your trust is important to me. I run this website myself and the commissions and donations help support the site.
Sound reasonable and fair enough? Let’s continue to the article.
Hey there, cookie lovers! Here’s another treat to add to your long list of cookie recipes which is a healthy, chewy molasses cookie that will undoubtedly pique your taste buds. These chewy delights are packed with nutrients and antioxidants and are super easy to make. So what are you waiting for? Let’s get baking!
Chewy Molasses Cookies
Nothing beats the smell of freshly cooked cookies while you’re on holiday. Make it more special with these chewy molasses cookies. It has this soft, chewy middle with perfectly browned, crispy edges, while at the same time enjoying a warm cup of your favorite coffee or tea in this cool holiday breeze!
What Makes Chewy Molasses Cookies Worth a Try?
Alright, folks, I know you’ve been wondering what the craze is all about. If you love gingerbread cookies, then this one is undoubtedly a better version. It’s chewy; it’s soft with the right amount of crispiness. A perfect blend of spices and sweetness. Plus, who can resist its super inviting aroma? I bet you are already listing the ingredients available in your pantry. Yes, you are right, the elements are very basic, and you can easily find them in your kitchen. If not, a quick run to the grocery will still be worth it.
Your Key Ingredient
There are different types of molasses you can buy in the market. However, the one that is suitable and ideal for this recipe is the blackstrap molasses which happens to be dark in color, thick, and slightly bitter. Additionally, there is also this unsulphured type which in fact is made from ripe and mature sugar cane. You can easily score this blackstrap molasses in any grocery or online store. But here’s the thing, your one key point is to always make sure you read the label!
What is Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap Molasses is the result of third and last boiling of molasses thus the deep black, bitter and bold flavors. Aside from that, it is also believed to be rich in iron and other health benefits like natural calcium, magnesium, and potassium. Adding to the list of these benefits is that blackstrap molasses can in fact give your Chewy Molasses Cookies a distinctive stronger flavor.
Let’s Make it Vegan
This cookie recipe can quickly turn into vegan in one simple step. The key is to replace your butter with a vegan version that can easily be found in vegan stores, however if you want to make it more healthy, you can use soft (not melted) coconut oil instead. And of course a lot way cheaper too.
Chewy Molasses Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ⅓ cup blackstrap molasses pure or unsulphured
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp water; add more if necessary
- ⅓ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine salt
- ⅓ cup cane sugar for dusting
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Prepare your large baking tray and line it with parchment paper.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F until ready.
- In a large bowl, cream softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light in color and texture.
- Mix in the molasses while occasionally whisking until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, add all the dry ingredients.
- At this time, you can now add cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, and cardamom, until well combined.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.
- Mixing after each addition. Add 1 tablespoon of water to lighten the texture.
- Scoop the dough using a 2-inch cookie scoop, then roll it into balls with your hands. Add a half-teaspoon more water if the dough seems dry.
- Once you are done rolling the dough, you can now coat the balls with sugar, then lightly press them on the baking tray.
- Bake the cookies for 10 minutes, or check up until the tops of the cookies are puffy and crackly.
- Remove the baking tray with cookies from the oven and allow it to rest for ten minutes without removing the cookies.
- After 10 minutes, the cookies are already firm and ready to transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
Love healthy baking recipes? You could try these simple recipes at home to impress your loved ones. Perfect for after-meal treats and coffee and tea parties with friends and family!
To Wrap It All Up
Now that you’ve read about this amazing chewy molasses cookie recipe, we hope you’ll try it home. And if you want to put your own spin on the recipe, that’s great too! We encourage you to experiment and find what works best for you. So bake up a batch of our chewy molasses cookies and impress everyone with your new cookie-baking skills!
Connect With Us
If you’ve tried these Chewy Molasses Cookies, don’t forget to leave a rating on the recipe card. Tag us on our social media accounts and make sure to subscribe to our weekly newsletter, and follow the Best Baking Tips and Vegan Globetrotter sites for more delicious ideas!