Best Baking Tips is supported by our audience. When you purchase through one of our links, we may earn a small affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Your cost is not affected.
Italian Rainbow Cookies – also sometimes called seven layer cookies or Venetian cookies – are a true treat. Layers of almond paste and buttery dough are sandwiched together and then covered in a thin layer of chocolate. The result is a delicate, yet flavorful cookie that melt in your mouth. While they may take a bit of time to make, they are well worth the effort. And, once you’ve had one, you’ll be hooked for life!
Italian Rainbow Cookie – Love the layers!
Few cookies are as eye-catching as the Italian Rainbow Cookie. Also known as the seven layer cookie, this confection is made with layers of almond cake and jam that are held together by chocolate. The colors of the rainbow are typically represented in the layers, making for a visually stunning treat. But it’s not just the appearance of the cookie that makes it so special. The combination of flavors is truly out of this world. The almond cake is moist and tender, while the jam adds a tartness that balances out the sweetness. The chocolate coating provides a rich contrast to the light cake, making for a truly delicious experience. Whether you’re looking for a unique dessert to impress your guests or simply want to indulge your sweet tooth, Italian Rainbow Cookies are sure to hit the spot.
Though they are now associated with Italian-American bakeries, the origin of Italian rainbow cookies is disputed. Some say that they were first created in Sicily, while others believe that they originated in Calabria. What is certain is that these colorful cookies were brought to America by Italian immigrants in the early twentieth century. They quickly became a popular treat in Italian-American households and bakeries. Today, Italian rainbow cookies are enjoyed by people of all backgrounds. Whether you call them cookies or biscotti, these sweet treats are sure to brighten your day.
What makes these Italian Rainbow Cookies special?
There are many reasons why Italian Rainbow Cookies are special. First, they are made with three layers of almond sponge cake, each layer a different color. This gives the cookies a unique appearance that is sure to catch the eye. Second, they are filled with a raspberry and apricot jam filling that provides a delicious contrast to the sweetness of the cake. Third, they are covered in a thin layer of semisweet chocolate, which not only looks beautiful but also adds a touch of richness to the flavor. Lastly, they are usually dusted with colorful sprinkles, making them even more festive and fun. With so many wonderful attributes, it is no wonder that these cookies are so popular!
Best Baking Tips; Let’s make it Gluten-free and Vegan!
Almond flour, coconut oil, flaxseed, and natural food colors are all great substitutes for traditional ingredients in Italian rainbow cookies that contain gluten or animal products. Almond flour can be used in place of wheat flour to create a lighter, gluten-free cookie. Coconut oil can be used in place of butter to create a vegan cookie. Flaxseed can be used in place of eggs to bind the ingredients together. Natural food colors can be used to give the cookies their colorful appearance without the use of artificial dyes. These substitutes will allow you to enjoy Italian rainbow cookies without having to worry about gluten or animal products.
When using these substitutes, it is important to note that the ratios of wet to dry ingredients may need to be adjusted. Almond flour, for example, is more dense than all-purpose flour, so less may be needed. Similarly, coconut oil is more liquid than butter, so more may need to be used to achieve the desired consistency. Adjusting the ratios of these ingredients will result in a delicious and healthy Italian rainbow cookie that is sure to please everyone!
For more vegan recipes, visit the Vegan Globetrotter site as well as our Youtube Channel. On these accounts, We have everything from savory vegan dishes to sweet treats, all of which are perfect for any occasion. Plus, you will learn more tips with our must-read articles about veganism.
Italian Rainbow Cookies: Wishing You Layers Of Happiness!
Italian Rainbow Cookie
Let's gather the ingredients!
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 can almond paste 8 oz
- 4 eggs fresh
- 12 drops red food coloring
- 12 drops green food coloring
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam seedless
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate melted
- Firstly, Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Then, Line three 9-by-13-inch quarter sheet pans with parchment paper on the bottoms and lightly oil sprayed on anything exposed on the sides set aside.
- Using a hand mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add almond pastry filling, beat until smooth around 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Slowly add the flour, and beat just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into 3 bowls. Add the 12 drops of green food coloring to one bowl, 12 drops of red food coloring to another bowl, and leave the third bowl plain white. Blend the food coloring into each batter to mix evenly.
- Using a spatula, spread each colored batter into each separate prepared pan. Bake each pan until just beginning to brown on the edges, 10-15 minutes. Make sure the middle is set. Cool completely.
- Heat jams separately in glass bowls in the microwave for every 30 seconds heating and stirring until smooth. Cool slightly.
- Place green cake on a clean solid tray or cutting board using wax paper on the bottom. Spread using a spatula heated apricot jam over the green cake. Top with plain (white) cake for the middle. Spread heated raspberry jam over the plain white cake and top with red cake. Press down lightly.
- Chill cakes to set jam.
- Using a sharp knife, trim cake edges to form an even block.
- Slice the cake in long lengthwise into 1 1/2" wide logs (5-6 of them). Separate the bars/logs so you can spread the chocolate down the sides.
- Use a cake decorating spatula to spread melted chocolate over top, sides of each long bar, and smooth chocolate over the ends of each bar until completely covered.
- Note: You can use a hot knife method to make the smooth on top by dipping your metal spatula in hot water and smoothing the chocolate in one direction.
- Chill to set chocolate, then slice into 1/2" thick cookies.
- Serve and enjoy with family and friends!
Pro Tips!One of the hardest things I found was how hard these were to cut without cracking the chocolate off. Once the chocolate gets hard you will need a very sharp knife. Two things worked better:
Freeze them first then cut or the second thing that worked was leaving them out 10 minutes or room temperature, then placing the knife in hot boiling water, wiping it off and slicing through the hard chocolate made it easier and didn't crack so easy. Parchment paper is a must to line cookie sheets. Dipping a knife in hot water makes these easier to cut. Always use a toothpick in the center to see if the cakes are done. Use your favorite jam warmed, we like raspberry seedless the best. After the batter is placed in the pan, tap lightly to release any air bubbles in the cakes before baking. These will stay fresh for two weeks in the refrigerator and they also freeze well.
For More Cookie Recipes
If you’re in the mood for a delicious and challenging recipe, give one of these new Cookie Recipes a try. We promise they won’t disappoint! And if you’re looking for even more recipes, be sure to check out our other post on the best chocolate chip cookie recipes around. Happy baking!
- Cream Cheese Christmas Cookies
- Christmas Shortbread Cookies
- Strawberry Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
- German Spice Cookies
- Almond Shortbread Tea Cookies
To Wrap It All Up
We hope you enjoyed this recipe for Italian Rainbow Cookies as much as we did! Be sure to comment down below and let us know how they turned out. And, if you have any other favorite recipes that you’d like to share with us, please do so – we love trying new things in the kitchen. Thanks for reading, and happy baking!
Connect With Us
If you’ve tried these Italian Rainbow Cookies, don’t forget to leave a rating on the recipe card. Take a ? and tag us using #bestbakingtips #ilovebestbakingtips and on our social media accounts: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Also, subscribe to our newsletter, which will be sent straight to your inbox every week, to stay more up-to-date on our baking recipes. ?